Monday, September 26, 2011

motherhood

a friend of mine sent me a couple of books to read. they are written by nancy campbell of the above rubies magazine. as i was reading this morning on my treadmill i was overwhelmed by the amount of scripture that speaks of motherhood and childbearing. we have such a huge priveledge as women to be involved in giving life.
i was also amazed that scripture speaks so often of the womb. our wombs are life giving, they are a blessing. "websters 1928 dictionary explains that the word woman is a combination of words, womb and man. woman therefore means womb man or man with a womb." i really thought this was a neat tidbit of info.
sometimes it can be challenging to embrace our motherhood. but when we learn that it is a gift and a calling from God it changes our attitudes. God has been working on me over the years in this area. i am now to the point where i am truely embracing my role as mama ( not that i dont have bad days still).
another point i loved in the book is that we as women have a need to mother or nurture whether we have children of our own or not. i can see this all around me. women seem to have an instinct to want to nurture something. children, pets, younger mothers etc. i recall each time in my life that i really begged roger for a pet. each of those times i found out shortly after that i was pregnant! my instinct was overwhelmed with a need to nurture.
how have you embraced motherhood lately?

2 comments:

  1. I am soooo glad your reading that book! I actually wanted to get it for you. I knew you would love it! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thank you!!! i loved and have moved on to another of her books!!!

    ReplyDelete